Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Evangelism: meant to be awkward

Sharing the Gospel was supposed to be tough. Well, that's what I thought. But to me, it's often amazing how people react to the idea of religion. In the past three weeks, I have had the chance to ask people if they needed prayer and prayed with them on the street. I have debated a student who said a loving God would not think of us as superior to any other animal, and there is an afterlife for animals. There was also the hour-long conversation with a gay man about Jesus and Christianity. These were all situations which are supposed to be out of my element and what the world does not want.

But isn't it the Bible which tells us the opposite? Doesn't Christ bring the words of everlasting life? I have seen words pierce like a sword the hearts of children Jesus wants to call to meet him here on earth and join him one day in heaven. This is something powerful. This is something real.

So what is it that causes us to not want to evangelize, especially to complete strangers? I can see why we wouldn't want to talk to our family and friends. We don't want to make Thanksgiving awkward. We don't want them to think we hate them and shoving something down their throat. There's more at risk when bringing it up with people you'll see again. But I'd gladly take two hours of debate on the morals of voting than small chit chat about the Steelers or how bad construction is in the city. Please, give me something better.

In the end, someone's feelings might get hurt. There might need to be an apology. But so be it. Reconciliation brings people together. And Christ's message is worth the awkwardness which may linger at some point while your eating pumpkin pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment